Thursday, November 7, 2013

National American Indian Heritage Month-Days 6 and 7

I usually post these on Facebook, but I missed a day, so I have to combine them.  Plus, this may help quit flooding people's feeds with my statuses several times a day.  So, here are days 6 and 7 of NAIHM!

November 6th: I've been talking about several of my favorite actors, so now I'm going to switch gears and talk about an actress I love.  Her name's Tonantzin Carmelo, and she is most known for her role as the younger (not teenage) Thunder Heart Woman in Into the West (2005) and as Shayla Stonefeather in Imprint (2007).  I haven't seen as much of her stuff as some of the other actors I like, but she's still very talented and I enjoy watching her films.  I think my favorite role of hers so far is as Thunder Heart Woman.  Just watch the first 3 episodes of the series and you'll totally get WHY I like her so much in the series!  More recent roles include Shouting Secrets and The Activist, though I have yet to see Shouting Secrets (and I'm DYING to see it!).  I also really liked her in Imprint, as she was able to realistically portray someone who is caught between two worlds, and someone who really is unsure of where she stands in each.  I love the movie in general, and the wonderful cast/writing just helps make it better!  She is an underrated actress in today's Hollywood, Native or otherwise.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0138371/?ref_=nv_sr_1

November 7th: Another actress I love is Irene Bedard.  You probably would recognize her voice from Disney's Pocahontas (1995), but she has been in a ton of other things, like, oh, Smoke Signals (1998), Lakota Woman (1994), Squanto: A Warrior's Tale (1994), Love's Long Journey (2005), and...oh yeah!  Of course Into the West as the older Margaret Light Shines.  Of all her roles, Margaret is my absolute favorite.  There is a depth to the way Irene plays the character that is simply captivating.  Margaret experiences so much of the injustices done to various tribes by the US Army, and Irene conveys that incredibly well.  Of all the scenes that speak for her the best, it would probably be found in episode 4, near the end.  Margaret has just gone through the pain of the Washita massacre, and is found by her younger brother (who is an Army scout), who later tries to free her from the makeshift prison of Custer's.  I just dare you to watch that scene and NOT feel emotional over it.  Margaret staunchly refuses to abandon the Cheyenne women and children, who she now feels responsible for.  Another enjoyable actress that is worth watching! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0065942/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

No comments:

Post a Comment