Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lady of Contentment

After reading this chapter, I'm beginning to wonder if it really belonged in the front of the book!  This chapter focused on being content while you're single.  Do you know how hard it is to be content while single?  Now, I would say that I've been pretty content since I was 13.  I suppose it comes from not being in public school and not feeling a lot of pressure to date, though I do get funny looks from people when I tell them I've never dated and I'm 18!  But discontentment isn't just for single women; did you know it is a situation for everyone?  Who knew?!  But in regards to singleness, if you don't start becoming content with your singleness, it'll seep into your marriage as well: "If you are presently discontent as a single woman, you can count on being dissatisfied as a married woman in the future."  Okay, so that does sometimes apply to me...but for the most part, I'm content to be single. Being able to wait has to do with not only your character, but the character of those around you. All of my friends encourage me to keep up my standards and to keep doing what I'm doing; i.e. put my future in God's hands because they're on the same road I am. 

I don't think this chapter would have been complete, or perhaps this book, without mentioning the ways that guys unintentionally lead girls astray.  What I'm about to say is not intended to offend, but come on, most guys are pretty clueless when it comes to us. *Can I hear an amen from the girls? :) *  Sometimes, you don't realize how what you do affects us...but girls, let's be honest, sometimes we get carried away.  I love the example they gave here: a guy wrote a letter to his friend (who was a girl), beginning it "Dear Sunshine."  Think they were dating? Think again! They were only friends. Now first of all, the guy was not smart to call her Sunshine. Now if it were in jest (like REmember the TItan's 'Sunshine') then maybe it'd be okay. But no!  Unfortunately, they didn't tell how the girl felt about this...but I can imagine what she did feel. And for us girls, we all know what that was, right?

And sometimes, we girls can lead ourselves astray. Ever found yourself having "visions" of a future together with a certain someone?  I know I have. Never was I told that it's wrong! Ouch. This part really hurt my toes because it pointed a finger directly at me. If you fantasize yourself with someone while you're single, you'll do the same thing after you're married. So what's the solution? Every time you start thinking about those things, immediately hand them over to Jesus.  That's what I'm going to try to do anytime I'm tempted to daydream.
Last, we need spiritual monitors; a person or persons to tell us not to let our expectations of guys get ahead of God's plan. They need to tell us, "I'm glad for you, but don't let your heart get carried away. Remember it's in God's hands, not yours."  Truthfully, it may hurt sometimes because you don't want anybody bursting your bubble, but in the long run, wouldn't it be for the best?
I'm going to close with a couple of quotes: "Singleness does not produce lack of contentment any more than marriage provides contentment. Lack of contentment is the result of the terrible burden of wanting life on your own terms."
"Dating is not a reward or a prize for living for Jesus. A Friday night without a date is often a night of 'being spared' by an all-wise Umpire (God)."

No comments:

Post a Comment