Monday, August 10, 2009

Another Win at the Glen


Okay, so after NASCAR postponed the Heluva Good race yesterday due to rain, and moved it to Monday, I was expecting a very boring race. But, alas, I should've known better; I mean, it is Watkins Glen international Speedway in New York. Road course races are almost never boring. Was this an exception? HECK NO! The race was only 90 laps long, and Tony started 13th. I wasn't worried about where he started because he's better working through traffic and has a better shot of getting to the front and staying there.

There were several major wrecks, 2 of them involving Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jeff Gordon, and Kevin Harvick. No biggie; I don't like any of them so I didn't care. But the one involving Gordon(the one that destroyed his car) was a BAD wreck, and I'm very thankful all the drivers involved were able to walk away. So anyways, Tony was ahead of all those wrecks, and he stayed up in top 10 for most of the race. Pit strategy is a very important thing at WGIS, and Tony's team strategized very well. Tony has always been great at this particular track, and today was no exception. He was smokin' the field, true to his nickname.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/08/10/post.race.tstewart.wins.watkins.glen/index.html

I could NOT sit still the last few laps of the race, because they were going on about how close
Tony was cutting it on fuel. They were saying he'd be like a lap or 2 short. YIkes! I was pacing back and forth, and Tony brought home the win. It was his 5th win at the speedway, his 3rd points win of the season, and overall, his 4th win (the All-Star race isn't considered a real race) of 2009. He added I think 796 points to his lead over Jimmie johnson, where JJ is sitting second in the Chase. Championship #3 for Tony? I sure hope so, and if he keeps this up all season, we could be seeing him hoisting his 3rd Championship trophy at HOmestead-Miami Speedway in November.

Picture from
http://www.tonystewart.com/

2 comments:

  1. His points total is 796, and his lead over Johnson is something like 260.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I should've checked that but was too excited to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete