Thursday, October 15, 2009

Where Has the Semester Gone?

It's been about 10 days since I last blogged...so first off, an update on Tony's progress: Tony is still 4th in points. The last race at California was a joke, as Jimmie Johnson won. Cheater. I swear that if he wins the Cup again, I will not support or watch NASCAR next year, as I'm sick and tired of one driver having the advantage. Since they changed the Chase format in 2004, we've only had 3 Champions: Kurt Busch, Tony Stewart, and Jimmie Johnson. Something wrong with this picture, you think?

Today marks the end of week 8 of my first semester in college. Already, I'm halfway through with this semester of college. Where has it gone? My algebra teacher remarked Tuesday how quickly the time had gone by; and it made me think, have I really been in college 2 months? It seems like yesterday I was so nervous about going to college that I was making myself sick. (That's not happening anymore, I assure you.) Already we're approaching mid-terms, and I'm on my third and final English essay. Whew. Of course, we're a little behind in History and Biology because the lectures got drawn out and the teachers wanted to cover the material they needed to so we could be tested over it. Does this mean at least one test will be left out? Who knows. Would be nice though. ;) I know that one Algebra test was dropped because my teacher pushed a test date back a week. I'm not complaining; it's one less test/grade I have to worry about. English and Biology are tied for being my favorites so far. History and Algebra, I don't care much about. English (or Composition as it's called) is teaching me a lot of things about my own writing style and how I write. I have discovered that I free write a lot, and it's hard for me to outline everything before I just jot down sentences or paragraphs...unfortunately, I think I HAVE to outline for essay 3, which makes me a little nervous considering I don't outline very well! Biology isn't as boring as I first thought it'd be; learning about our cells, organs, etc... and how everything comes together and works just fascinates me. How can anyone look at the human body and say, "evolution did that"? HOW?! Our systems are FAR too intricate to be the product of an accident. (Not to mention, the earth isn't billions of years, or even millions of years old; scientists can't really agree on the EXACT age because every age you see is pretty much different.)

It makes me appreciate even more the fact that I have (we have) a Creator who created everything around us and created our bodies to function in such amazing ways that they can't be replicated. It also makes me see how blessed I am to have a body that isn't handicapped, or to have a mind that pretty much works normally, or to just be in fairly good health all around. We watched a video on DNA: Curing Cancer today in lecture, and it just fascinates me how we can go in and program certain drugs to shut down or re-program certain genes/molecules/dna strands and do something different. Whoa. How could anyone be a scientist and not realize there is a Creator who created what they're looking at? I mean, God created the cells and the DNA, and the blood, and everything else that became tainted in the Garden of Eden.

Anyway, sorry for that little bit of rambling. I'm very thankful I have the opportunity and the means to go to college and learn things I never knew before (and things I get angry about because I know they're being falsely taught), but some kids don't have this opportunity, and I don't want to waste it at all. Not to mention, a pig dissection next week should be pretty cool...or interesting, not sure which. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment