Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lady in Waiting

My friend recently introduced me to a book called Lady In Waiting: Developing Your Love Relationships by Debby Jones and Jackie Kendall. It's been out a while, since 1995, but still a good read. I'm to the 2nd chapter and have decided that I'll use this as sort of a devotional to read in the mornings. I re-read the first chapter today, taking the time to really read it through and write down my thoughts at the end of the chapter (at the end, there are discussion questions to think about). Certainly, I've felt like a lady in waiting. I thought at first, "well this book is like ALL those others I've read", but as I started into the first chapter, I realized that this book is just a little bit different. First of all, there are 10 characteristics of a lady in waiting: Lady of Reckless Abandonment, of Diligence, of Faith, of Virtue, of Devotion, of Purity, of Security, of Contentment, of Conviction, of Patience. The authors use Ruth as a woman who had all 10 of these characteristics. Once my friend and her family get back from China, and I've read through the book, we plan to do a devotional/Bible study together using this book, but as I'm reading it now, I'll try to post some thoughts.

The first chapter is Lady of Reckless Abandonment. Most of the focus is talking about how many women seek to find completion in their boyfriend(s) or husbands, or even their careers. "Too many Christian women think that the inner longings of their heart relate only to love, marriage and motherhood. Look a little closer and see if that longing isn't ultimately for Jesus." That struck me, mainly because since I'm still technically a teenager, I face those feelings of never having someone, or not being able to be held by a guy. I'll say this, I've never dated and I'm 18. I don't brag about it because it's not an easy lifestyle! But I am proud of it because I feel as if I've been able to be true to the calling God has set before me, and that is to wait to date until He says it's time. Reading this chapter, I realized how much I depend on other things/people to fill me up. How much time do I waste on Facebook or online doing absolutely nothing? How many mornings do I actually set aside to spend time with God? I never am consistent with my morning devotions. Some mornings, if I'm really with it, I'll sit down and do a quiet time. But I rarely ever take the time to pray or to just sit and listen to His voice. I've decided that with this book, I will strive to start every morning by setting my focus on Him. I've found that, although sometimes my days are bad anyway, they often aren't as rough when I've started it all off with Him. I've always known, deep down in my heart, that completion can never be found in another person but Christ. Sometimes, though, I lose sight of that and I get selfish. I look to my friends or to films or to books to provide fulfillment, and when they don't, I get angry and/or depressed about it. No more! Tonight, when I take my prayers to God, I'm going to committ to Him to strive to look for my fulfillment in Him. It can't happen overnight, of course. Many times, I wish it could! In fact, I think it's why I'm still single: God's not done with my single season. He isn't done with my singleness, and He knows, even if I don't, that He's still got to work on me some more before I'm ready to be involved with a guy. Oh believe me, I get very impatient sometimes, but I know that he, that very special person, IS coming. Could he already be here and I don't know it? Kinda doubtful, but who knows? But I can say that right now, I'm not ready to date. I have to 1. find my completion in Christ, 2. learn how to re-focus on Him daily, and 3. simply draw closer to Him.

Ultimately, I think that's where it all starts. You have to find your completion in CHrist, learn to be content on a dateless Saturday, and just trust Him with your future.

Now, another focus in the chapter was on the sinful woman and her alabaster box in the Bible. She broke a costly perfume over the head of Christ, anointing Him for burial, AND offering Him all she had. She "wisely broke her alabaster box in the presence of the only One who can make a woman's dreams come true." Your alabaster box can be a dream of a white knight in shining armor riding in to sweep you off your feet. "Take your alabaster box to Jesus and break it in His presence...." I thought, well surely I haven't done that yet! But then, I'm content to be single. for now. Oh sure, sometimes I wish Friday night was date night, but in most cases, I'm happy being single. No guy could put up with me long enough, I think! So how do I know that I"ve "broken my alabaster box"? Easy: "When the Lord gives" me "a difficult assignment, such as another dateless month," I "receive His terms without resentment." I'm not ALWAYS happy with being alone, but most of the time, I just remind myself it's for God's best, and then I just set it aside in my mind.

Okay well, this has turned into a very long blog, and so I better stop. More to come tomorrow, hopefully! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment